2010 MERC GL450 AIR SUSPENSION

Mark Johnson • 14 January 2020

My GL450, one side is down and the other side is up. I was told the right rear air spring(bag) is blown which it is. Before, my gl450 sits low when off but when on, it rises up. However, after getting new tires and doing an alignment, one side would not go up. My problem happened right after new tires and alignment was done. Took it to mercedes and they told me that the air bag is popped, but they also want me to replace all FOUR level sensors and the left rear air spring(bag) too. They want level sensors replaced because they are bent/ corroded plus the right front air strut due to it leaking. Do I have to replace sensors or can I just replace 1 or 2 of the air bags? I didn't mind my car dropping when off but cant I just replace the popped air bag?? Please any advice would help. The repair bill they gave is 4000 dollars.

You don't have to replace the level sensors. Just replace the blown airbags. If Mercedes refuses to do that take your GL to a independent repair shop. 

• Thank you so much for your response. Mercedes will do it, but if they do, they will not warranty it. They say that because they say since my right airbag is not brand new or maybe leaking, it will damage the whole car because one air spring is new and might pop the bag again? 

• Just one more thing, so only one air bag is blown, but there argument is that the other rear airbag is leaking so I need to replace that as well. The airbags were leaking anyway when I had my first service on it but it never caused a problem. Now, one blew up after new tires and alignment idk why. So my question is, can I just replace that  one airbag and be good? They are saying because only one airbag will be new and the others are old, it will damage the car and maybe pop my new airbag again. Sorry so complicated so just to

make sure, I can just replace that one air spring(bag)?

• Also they are saying since the sensors are bent they are confuses and dont know how much air to give or something and might keep blowing air into that bag and eventually blow. Mechanic said it might last one day or few weeks but he said he couldnt tell me. I trust you, i just wanted to clarify it seems they are trying to do way too much? Should i just replace the one airbag?

• I would maybe have an independent shop look at it. Those bent sensors can be bent back to normal. The only issue is they are rusted. Which can happen quite often. It is a little hard to make a call without seeing it.

If you are in a tight budget replace just the blown airbag. If money is not a problem then do the sensors too. I just wish the dealer repaired things instead of just replacing them. 

• Gotcha. I really can not afford it at all. Im not going for the sensors. They wanted front right air strut replaced due to leaking plus left rear air bag due to leaking, but its always been like that. I just wanted to make sure that even if other airbags leak but i get one new one my gl should be fine? Independent also says one. Idk why merc says left need to be replaced due to it leaking. Thank you for the advice though.

• If you have a leaky one in addition to the blown one replace the leaky one as well. I don't think it will cause the new one to blow but it has to be replaced soon. it also will make your air compressor run a lot more than needed and cause it to fail prematurely. 

• Ok thank you for your advice lots man. So Since im really tight on money right now, you say its fine just to replace the blown airbag for now without it damaging the car?  Correct?

edit: my bags always been leaky but never really caused a prob.

• When you have small leaks like that you make the compressor work more often which means it will wear sooner. But it can be a year from now or five.